Man, 71, charged with attempted murder in 3-hour standoff with police

A 71-year-old man is facing charges after shooting at officers during an almost three-hour standoff with police inside his Coral Springs home.

Richard Euler surrendered after he was shot in the hand by an officer, said Coral Springs Sgt. Carla Kmiotek. By then, Euler had already fired his own guns at police through a locked bedroom door and then pointed his weapon at the officer through the bedroom window, she said.

He was then charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault with a firearms.

Police received a call around 3 p.m. Monday from family members saying that Euler was armed and “distraught” inside the home on the 8300 block of Northwest 14th Court.

According to a police report, he was seen “crouched in a chair armed with a firearm and his finger on the trigger.”

When officers arrived, they went inside the residence and tried talking to Euler, who was barricaded inside a bedroom. He stabbed the door several times, and then left the knife in the door “with the blade sticking out through the door,” the report said.

As part of protocol, the police SWAT team was called to the scene.

Police negotiators tried to talk to Euler on the other side of the door, but he was “agitated” and “threatening our officers’ lives,” Kmiotek said.

“It was at that point that he opened fire through the door, shooting several rounds at our officers that were inside,” she said. “They still tried communicating with him, because they had taken positions of cover.”

Euler told officers over the phone he would not come out and he started “counting the number of police officers around the residence,” the report said.

The situation escalated when Euler pointed a firearm directly at an officer positioned right outside the home, near a bedroom window.

At that point, “the officer was forced to make a shot,” hitting Euler’s hand or arm, Kmiotek said. He was conscious and talking as he was taken to Broward Health North.

“They tried for almost three hours to get him to surrender peacefully and come out, but he obviously didn’t decide to do so,” she said Monday. 

When officers went into the bedroom, they found several guns inside.

No one else was injured in the incident., 954-356-4544 or Twitter: @rebecapiccardo

Article source:

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *